SYA Character Counts!
SYA Soccer seeks to identify players and coaches who have demonstrated exceptional character. The Character Counts Award is presented for each spring and fall soccer season.
This special award is to recognize those individuals that show the following qualities consistently – even when the chips are down. Nominations for this award should be based on the following criteria:
- Respects referees and opponents
- Respects fellow team members and their coaches
- Encourages others on the field, at practice, and off the field
- Loves the game of soccer
- Helps their fellow team members
- Plays by the rules/spirit of the law
- Is reliable, comes to practices/games regularly; is prepared with equipment and prepared to play
- Exhibits good sportsmanship and a positive attitude during games and practice
- Displays good citizenship qualities
Congratulations to the Fall 2006 Character Counts winners!!
Girls Travel - Jennifer Steinhilber (U-12 Girls Arsenal)
¨ Is exceptionally friendly and welcoming, cheerful, and always giving 110%.
¨ Is the “on the field cheerleader” and a positive force
¨ Practices until she gets it right, even if it means doing it at home and during her free time
¨ Is fully committed to soccer, her team, and her coach
¨ Sets an example by listening to what her coach has to say and does it
¨ Loves trying out the coaches “tips.
Boys Travel - Bryan Riedel (U-14 Boys Lions)
¨ Is highly regarded by his teammates, his coach and the parents as a young man who epitomizes great character
¨ Willingly stepped up and took on the goalie position and embraced the challenge with good humor and good sportsmanship
¨ Is a leader and positive spirit for the team
¨ Sets the example for team for Fundraising and various team activities
¨ Encourages his teammates and is a dedicated team member
Travel Coach - Jeff Rismiller (U-16 Boys Phoenix)
¨ Brave enough to coach “the wild bunch of 15-16 year old boys”
¨ Stepped up to the challenge of reminding the boys that soccer is a great sport; where the referee is always right, things are not always fair
¨ Took a team of boys that were on a downward streak and quickly turned things around.
¨ Treats every boy firmly, but with respect
¨ Shows them they must work hard to get good results.
¨ Is a great role model while instilling in them that soccer is a sport that will reward them for many years to come.
Nomination process for Character Counts awards
We recognize seven Character Counts Awards each season in the following categories:
- one girl recreational player
- one boy recreational player
- one girl travel player
- one boy travel player
- one recreational house team coach/assistant coach
- one travel coach
We would like to also recognize one additional award for a recreational player, boy or girl, for the U6-U9 age bracket. The player qualities are listed below.
- Listens well to the coach
- Willing to try new skills
- Loves soccer; interested in learning the rules of the game
- Is considerate of other team mates – doesn’t laugh at others
- Follows directions
Nominations for the Spring season are due in writing by June 30, and for the Fall season by December 31.
Please include the following information in your submission:
- Your name, phone number, and email address
- Your relationship to the nominee
- The nominee’s name, gender, and team
- Nominee’s category (ex: travel or rec player)
- Written explanation as to why you believe this individual should receive this Character Counts Award (500 words or less).
Winners of each season will be formally recognized at the following SYA Coaches Meeting. Each award winner will be formally congratulated and receive a $50 gift certificate from a sports store, and their name and picture in the local paper.
We look forward to hearing from you!
SYA Character Counts Committee